Kayak Trader host races to expand the family of paddlers and to generally have a good time! We hope that by providing a platform based on the common interest of paddling, we will be able to reach countless paddlers looking to explore the waters of the United States through canoeing and kayaking.
Apalachicola is the Oyster Capitol of the World and this year we are serving up the World’s Best Oysters and Shrimp at our After Party at The Bowery Station located at 131 Commerce St in Apalachicola. http://www.bowerystation.us/
- There will be prizes awarded to each category 3 places deep.
- Pre Registration Friday – April 6th – 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM At Bowery Station on Commerce St
- Online registration closes at midnight on Friday, onsite registration only after that.
- Registration Saturday -April 7th – starts at 7:30 AM ends 9:00 AM at Battery Park
- 15 Mile race will begin at 10:00 AM others soon afterward
- Awards will be presented after the races at Battery Park.
- After Party at Bowery Station Live Music, Oysters, Shrimp and your first beer is on us!
Race categories are based primarily on the sound rowers system of length and width ratio which is a very equitable method of grouping paddlers by boat type. You can learn more here and even look up your own make and model to find your category.
High Performance Kayaks/Open class – This is almost all 18+ ft long kayaks (depending on width) plus some shorter boats like ICF K1′s and wildwater kayaks.
Fast Sea Kayak class – Too long or too narrow (or both) to fit into sea kayak class. Too short or too wide for HPK.
Sea Kayak class – Starting at 14.1 ft in length up to approx. 16-17.5 ft in length depending on width.
Rec class – This is anything at 14 ft or less in length, period. No width data is needed.
Masters age group – Anyone 50 or over
Tandem – Any tandem canoe, kayak, or outrigger.